Thursday, April 29, 2010

About "Shadows"

When we went to the National Park on Papagallo we had lunch at this hundred year old plantation house.  It was truly a beautiful place.  The surroundings were filled with native plants reminiscent of Arizona, mostly various species of cactus.  The house  itself was located on a rise surrounded by very old native trees.  That day it was hot and dry and what really struck me was the shadows cast by the old trees.  Shadows are a passion of mine probably because they are never exactly what you think they would be.  In fact they are always much more interesting than anything I could imagine.  I wanted to express the feel of the day.  I'll probably experiment more with it.  Different colors, just little things until I feel it is just right.  I'm not sure at this moment just how but it will be an interesting challenge for me.  More and more I want to capture that specific moment, just how I felt, what I thought.  I'm still somewhat of a novice at landscapes, but what always matters most to me is the emotional response.  You'd think after painting all this time it would come easily but there's always so much more I want to say.

No comments: